EVO’s mission statement: The EVO is a creation of TESOL’s CALL Interest Section. In this age of electronic communication, it seems a natural way to bring the issues of our profession to the international stage. Our goal is to allow learning anywhere, anytime, with as little expense as possible. Thus EVO moderators and mentors are all volunteers, and participants need only provide their own Internet access to take part in activities. Contribution as a moderator is a significant act of volunteerism, and forms an important service to our profession.
Sampling: I co-moderated an EVO 2010 session for elementary teachers: http://internet4younglearners.pbworks.com/w/page/1992157/FrontPage. Even though the session has ended, you can still view the content. Generally, the sessions are participatory and conclude with a final project. For ours, we had teachers post their lesson plans that incorporated technology. Furthermore, we collaborated on a list of our favorite English language learning websites for children. Here’s a copy of our handout.
How to get involved: Since then, I’ve enjoyed being a part of EVO as a mentor and co-coordinator. If you’d like to get involved, look for the call to participate in December. These are generally shared on the TESOL listserves, so make sure you join the one connected to your interest section. If you’re interested in moderating a session online, then contact a member of the CALL-IS, so you can submit a proposal around September. The coordination team and mentors will provide moderator training free-of-charge when your session is accepted. See the 2017 call for proposals below.
Previous blog posts about the EVO:
1. EVO is for Newbies and Techies Alike: http://blog.tesol.org/blog/electronic-village-online-is-for-newbies-and-techies-alike
2. Vote for EVO as the Top Tech Innovator: https://teacherrogers.wordpress.com/2011/12/21/vote-for-evo-as-the-top-tech-innovator-on-the-chronicle/
3. EVO Provides Free Professional Development Annually: http://blog.tesol.org/tesol-convention-blog/evo-provides-free-professional-development-annually
4. EVO: A Collaborative Professional Development Model: https://teacherrogers.wordpress.com/2012/05/17/evo-a-collaborative-professional-development-model/
5. Read a professionally written article about EVO in TESOL Italy’s Newsletter (See p. 9): http://www.scribd.com/doc/61439125/TESOL-Italy-Newsletter-Summer-2011
The direct link to the formal Call for Proposals is http://evosessions.pbworks.com/w/page/108561361/Call_for_Proposals_2017.